Wednesday, November 20, 2013

right here.


“New York City.
Centre of the universe.”

It’s hard to believe I’ve lived here for over a year now. Some people call New York their home before they’ve ever really lived here, but I think I was the opposite. It was like New York discovered me instead of the other way around. I was privileged enough to be granted the opportunity to go to school here.  And well…

New York owned me within minutes.

Maybe that makes me more of a New Yorker; the fact that I wasn’t star struck by the Big Apple but rather submerged right into the chaos from the beginning.  I don’t know. However, what I do know is that this is probably the coolest place in existence. It might not be for everyone, and some can only take it in small doses. Me? I’m down right diggin’ it. One hundred percent.

A year ago today I was telling my family in Toronto that I was the weird one at my school because my day-to-day outfits consisted of jeans and t-shirts while my classmates sported heeled sneakers and furry coats. Logic would imply that heels are not the best attire for the woodshop and your Chloe handbag is in the danger zone when you throw it next to your paints. However, moving into the fashion design program sparked somewhat of a paradigm shift. Now it seems more appropriate to strut that furry coat to my fashion culture class, and plaid shoes seem to just make sense for my sewing and construction studio. Oh and I probably won’t leave my apartment without my felt bag that looks as though it was made from that stuff on the floor of your car.

Maybe it was my roommate wearing green lipstick, or my classmates wearing platform sneakers with ribbon laces. Or maybe it was just New York City as an entity in itself. Whatever it was, I'm into it. 

New York has a hold on me. And it might never let go.

2 comments:

  1. You're from Parsons right? Lucky you! I wanted to study fashion in NY too (or probably in London) but NY is really awesome. I'm currently studying fashion design and marketing in SoFA Design Institute in Manila, Philippines which is an affiliate of Instituto Marangoni. Not really sure if you'll read this but I love your blog entry. I also saw that you liked my photo on Instagram. :)

    Em
    http://itsemtrava.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey girl!
      Thanks for the comment! Awesome that you're also in school for fashion design, but across the world! Very cool. Yes! Studying fashion in New York is an amazing experience :)
      Thanks for checking out my blog! I'll definitely give yours a look.

      xx.

      Delete