Wednesday, February 5, 2014

homework?


My school gives us an insanely long winter break for whatever reason. Normally I wouldn't complain about this, I mean who would, right? But, of course, my program felt it necessary to assign a massive winter assignment to work on while we're home so as to keep us "inspired" and "creatively engaged". And me, being who I am, didn't even touch it until the end of the almost 2 month long winter break. In my defense, I was taking some time to reconnect with friends and family while they were home for the holidays and then immediately started working at the insurance office to make some moola. Working 9 to 5 is like real life. I don't know how people do it and maintain hobbies and stuff. I have a new found appreciation for the workforce of ... the world, because trying to get my head around doing homework upon arriving home in the dark days of January at 6:30 pm was a real struggle. 

So I eventually got around to completing it. 

The assignment was to design two collections: one represents your ego as a designer, and the second as your alter ego. Don't get it confused - alter ego does not mean another side of you. It was actually meant to imply THE OPPOSITE of what you identified as your ego... which apparently was hard for everyone in my class to understand, including me. I immediately decided my ego was 1960's-mod which I fell in love with last semester during my fashion history class. Apparently people used to see that style in my own but I guess since moving to NYC and the whole "all black" thing... I've veered away from that.
My alter ego, which I believed to be the opposite, was punk/grunge, which I also learned about during fashion history. When I presented my winter assignment, my teachers (which are the same ones from last semester) told me their opinion - which was that I'm much more like my alter ego than my ego, if not a mixture of both. So... I'm not sure what image I've been giving off, but that's how they interpret my personal style. Maybe I'm just versatile and like experimenting, but I definitely was not expecting to be told I'm "punk". 

We needed to digitize our entire project. So that is what I have to share.

note: colours came out weird when the file was exported.















No comments:

Post a Comment